This article covers the following topics:
- What multi-factor authentication (MFA) is
- Why we are enabling MFA
- Which applications are affected
- How to set up MFA
What is multi-factor authentication (MFA)?
Multi-factor authentication is a security measure that requires end users to verify their identities through more than one type of identifier to gain access to an application – not just their username and password. This provides an additional layer of protection, securing user identities and preventing organizations’ online resources from being accessed by bad actors. Examples of a second (or multi) factor include the use of an authenticator application, a fingerprint, or facial recognition.
Why are we enabling MFA?
At Inovalon, we pride ourselves on developing and providing innovative and secure applications that empower you to deliver on your business objectives. Inovalon has enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) to all of our applications to support our goal of continuing to enhance the security of our applications.
When multi-factor authentication is enabled, you will be required to set up and choose your preferred method of MFA. Click here to go directly to the section of this article with instructions on how to set up MFA.
Please note, MFA is not being enforced for Federated and Single-Sign On (SSO) customers and their users at this time.
Which applications will I need to use MFA to access?
All current and future Inovalon Payer applications will require multi-factor authentication. These include but are not limited to:
- Converged Analytics (formerly QSI-XL®)
- Converged Data Ingestion (formerly iPORT-HD™)
- Converged Data Insights (formerly INDICES®)
- Converged Provider Enablement (formerly ValueCompass)
- Converged Patient Assessment (formerly ePASS®)
- Inovalon Healthcare Data Lake
- Electronic Record On Demand (formerly CDEaaS™)
- Converged Outreach
How do I set up multi-factor authentication?
Follow the steps in the interactive below to set up MFA for your Inovalon ONE platform account. Click on the (+) buttons to learn more about each step. If you can't view the instructions below, click the link here.
Setting up MFA
1. Open a web browser and navigate to the URL of the application. For the best experience, use Google Chrome.
2. Enter your username and password and click Sign In.
3. The next screen will present four options for MFA: Okta Verify, Google Authenticator, SMS Verification, and Voice Call Verification. Please select your preferred method of verification - remember this will be used each time you sign into an Inovalon application.
Okta Verify uses an Okta Authenticator App to produce login codes needed when signing into an Inovalon application. For detailed instructions on setting up the Okta Authenticator App for the first time, see this Okta help article.
Google App will produce a login code needed at the time of signing into an Inovalon application. For instructions in setting up Google Authenticator for the first time, see this help article.
A SMS (text) message is sent with a code each time you sign into an Inovalon application. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up SMS Authentication or use the steps below to enroll your phone.
1. Enter a phone number eligible to receive SMS (text) messages, then click Send Code.
2. On the next screen, enter the code received through SMS message and click Verify.
3. Your account is now set up for Multi-Factor Authentication. You will be prompted to enter a code received via SMS message each time you login.
Voice Call Authentication
An automated phone call will occur each time you login to an Inovalon application.
1. Enter the number for the phone on which you want to receive the call. An extension number can be entered for landline business phones.
2. Click Call.
3. The number is verified with a call. Enter the provided code into the Enter Code box.
4. Click Verify.
5. Your account is now set up for MFA. You will be prompted to enter a code received via voice call each time you login.